Today we reach my destination, Boten, the border between Laos and China but unfortunately, the Laotian Immigration do not allow us to pass the border without getting out passport stamp. We do not have a Chinese Visa so it will be a problem returning to Laos without getting a Chinese entry stamp.
The drive from Luang Prabang to Boten and on to Luang Namtha was very much better than the first sector from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. Total distance was approx 350km, with excellent roads for about 300km. The first 100km after Luang Prabang roads were quite bad till Pak Mong but onwards the road were good.
Boten border is located inside a special administration zone managed by the Chinese. There are duty free, hotels and probably casino (we saw slot machines next to the duty free buiding) in this area. The default currency in this zone is Yuan.
Just a recap of our first sector (Kajang - Boten)
Estimated Distance - approx. 2800km till Pagoda CIQ Complex
Lowest Temperature Recorded on Car - 4'C (after Kasi junction uphill)
Longest Drive - Hat Yai - Amphawa (approx 860km in 11 hours)
1) Hat Yai - (Dad calls it - Christian Hotel) (carpark available)
2) Amphawa - Smile House 3 (carpark available)
3) Vientiane - Riverside Palace Hotel (carpark not available - roadside parking)
4) Luang Prabang - Ammata Guesthouse (carpark available - annex building)
5) Luang Namtha - Thoulasith Guesthouse (carpark available)
Lunch : Fried Rice and Fried Noodles @ Oudomxay Bus Terminal
Dinner : Roast Pork @ Luang Namtha Night Market
Hotel - Thoulasith Guesthouse, Luang Namtha
Some photos taken today
Post a Comment